Thursday, June 18, 2009

3 secrets of great presentations

Startlike is close to being ready for prime-time and I just started pulling together some thoughts for a few upcoming presentations.

I've done pitches for just about every type of audience ranging from angel investors and private equity firms to potential clients, partners and employees. Presentations differ based on your audience, but whether it's Peter Thiel or your mom, every product presentation must clearly answer two basic questions: 1) What does it do? and 2) Why do I need it?

In my younger (and dumber) years I've had my share of presentation missteps. In fact, I would pay good money to have videos of myself giving the original PriceJester investor pitches back in 2000 just to see it all again through wiser eyes. Let's just say I'm pretty sure I've come a long way and I'd like to share a few pointers so others can learn from my mistakes.

Here are 3 of my must follow product presentation tips:

1) Show the product in the first 60 seconds. A politico friend once told me that politics are about 3 things; the candidate, the candidate and the candidate. As obvious as it might seem, a product presentation is also about 3 things....you can guess what they are.

2) Tell the audience how your product solves one of their problems. During your presentation, set the problem on a metaphorical tee and use your product demo to knock it out of the proverbial park. Your product does solve a real problem, right?

3) Finish your demo in 5 minutes and move into Q&A. If you can't do it, go back and iterate to simplify your product until you can. I'm not saying you should be able to cover every detail in 5 minutes flat, but you should be able to clearly explain the core features and solve the problem. Trying to cover too many things will lose the audience. If your product is good, and you explain it well, the Q&A will allow you to explore more features in response to specific questions. Good Q&A engages the audience by forcing them to think and ask insightful questions. If they don't have any questions you've either a) struck oil (stop drilling) or b) struck out (better luck next time).


I really don't think you can go wrong with these tips. Good luck on your next pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment